And the First Will Be Last


He always wants to be first. It doesn't matter what it is. He wants to be fed first, to go out the door first, to come in the door first, to get a treat first. He is the youngest and, by far, the smallest. His attitude more than makes up for both.

Though he has reached the age of 18 months, he remains a puppy. Well, at least when it comes to destruction. Baby gates abound. One day he got impatient as I reached to move a baby gate. In his attempt to be ready to dart through the opening, he managed to knock another baby gate down. It landed on top of him. He panicked and, rather than wait for help, frantically tried to get from under it. That caused him to run into the very scary vacuum cleaner, toppling it to the floor and sending parts of it everywhere. 

His brother and sister scrambled up the stairs. I could only watch the destruction unfold. He finally freed himself and almost knocked me down as he rushed to safety. 

After I got him calmed down and after I stopped laughing, I told him Jesus' parable about the workers in the vineyard.  I reminded him that Jesus said, "The last will be first, and the first will be last."  When you insist on pushing forward to be first realize that, sooner or later, you're going to be last.


No comments:

Post a Comment