Window Frame Chalkboard

I found this old window frame at an auction. Nobody wanted it because it had already been "done." By that I mean the glass was gone and had been replaced by mirrors. Except one of the mirrors was missing, leaving a big hole. And someone had painted it white and added red, blue and yellow polka dots. Think primary colors here.
I saw it and immediately considered all the possibilities. It took a little while with the "right" tools and I managed to removed the five mirrors (without breaking even one!). Then I got out the Kilz and proceeded to get rid of those dots. I love polka dots but somehow the primary colors just dated the piece.
Next I added a coat of turquoise paint. A little yellow-green, some pink and purple and a few highlights came next. I used a piece of thin plywood for the back. I added three coats of chalkboard paint, then attached it with a nail gun. The piece came with two hangers, one for each side, so I reattached those.
This whimsical stylish piece made its public debut two days later -- and went to its new home a few hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment